Ministries at Christ Episcopal Church
The Outreach Committee functions as a combined mission/community outreach committee. We are responsible for distributing money entrusted to us by the Vestry. Our normal budget is usually divided into two pieces; funds for worldwide projects and agencies that support the Millennium Development Goals, and for local projects. Typical donations within a year are made to organizations and agencies such as the following:
- Habitat for Humanity
- World Vision – 30 Hour Famine
- Heifer International
- Free Wheelchair Mission
- InterAct Cleveland
- Family Promise of Cleveland formerly Interfaith Hospitality Network
- A local backpack school-supply project
- Through Episcopal Relief and Development (ERD), disaster relief, clean water projects and women’s development in Third World countries
- IPM - a charity that assists in many humanitariun projects around the world. Our 4th annual Album Speranza Tea event (pictured at top of page) helps women and children escape sexual slavery and prostitution.
|Blessing of the Animals in October|
We also sponsor projects that allow the whole congregation to be involved in outreach:
- The Homeless Stand Down in February, for which we collect supplies that will be distributed during the Stand Down;
- The Heifer International collection at Easter or Pentecost;
- Outreach days at Shaker Square – North Union Farmers Market from late spring to early fall, when we greet shoppers, offer water and conversation, share information about Christ Church when asked, and hold a Blessing of the Animals on St. Francis Day in October;
- Three or four weeks of hosting Family Promise homeless families throughout the year as well as supporting other congregations who need help during their weeks of hosting, and making donations to Family Promise fundraising projects (Fall 2011 hosting);
- The coffee sale at Christmas, raising money to support the Christ Church Community Meal program and other local hunger programs.
Family Promise Volunteers in February
New and long-time Christ Episcopal Church members are encouraged and welcome to become involved; in order to expand our mission to IHN and the market days we need to increase our numbers and spread the responsibility for organizing projects among more people. Our goal is to make a significant contribution to our community, through Family Promise, the Community Meal, our presence at the market, and encouraging congregational participation in local fund-raising activities, as well as to support organizations serving the poorest of the poor throughout the world.